Healthy Foods That Feel Indulgent
A common fantasy among most people is to have the ability to eat whatever you want without gaining weight or worrying about related health risks. A large majority avoid foods like chocolate and dairy for fear of potential disadvantages. Read on to find out about 6 healthy foods you might think are more indulgent.
While you might think that chocolate is not suitable for your health, there are benefits that you might find when you snack on this treat. A healthy relationship with chocolate can be an advantage for you. Opting for dark chocolate can provide significant health benefits.
Dark chocolate is known for its powerful antioxidants and flavonols that help fight inflammation and reduce cell damage. According to research, this is how this type of chocolate can benefit your health:
- It can help lower blood pressure and improve blood circulation to your heart.
- The flavonols help to balance your immune system by reducing oxidative stress.
- With improved heart health, your brain reduces the stress-causing hormone cortisol production.
- Flavonols can enhance cognitive function through faster reaction times, stronger memory, and visual-spatial awareness.
- The cell protective properties of micronutrients such as epicatechin balances insulin levels to prevent diabetes risk.
Most people consider fried chicken a firm favourite; it’s tasty and easy to make. However, the method used to prepare your chicken matters if you want to enjoy the health benefits of it. For instance, you should consider removing the skin for a lower caloric count.
Chicken is an ideal substitute for red meat since it’s packed with essential protein. The benefits when you consume chicken moderately and prepare it accordingly, include:
- Stronger bones and muscles: Amino acids in lean protein are excellent for building muscle tissue and maintaining bone mineral density.
- Weight management: A protein-enriched diet can make you feel fuller for longer, which promotes better weight management.
- Mood regulation: Specific amino acids are linked to increased serotonin levels, which can boost your mood.
Potatoes are the most versatile and staple vegetable you can find. One of the most significant benefits of potatoes is their high fibre content. Fibre is essential for making you feel full for longer, reducing heart disease risk and regulating blood sugar levels.
Most importantly, potatoes contain antioxidants that are an essential component for disease prevention. This means that a diet high in fibre and resistant starch can help reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease. To gain the most health benefits of potatoes, consider cooking them with the skin.
Fish is one of the most essential sources of high-quality protein. It’s packed with excellent nutrients to fight illnesses and promote overall health. Experts suggest a diet that includes fish at least twice a week to keep your brain and heart healthy.
Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish are a crucial nutrient with the following health benefits:
- Promotes healthy brain function.
- It helps lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart-related diseases such as clogged arteries and abnormal heart rhythms that can lead to a heart attack.
- It may lower the risk of inflammation and arthritis.
- Reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
Dairy includes various foods made from the milk of multiple mammals, such as cows and goats. Milk-containing products such as cheese, butter and yoghurt have become a common source of minerals and vitamins. The nutritional profiles of dairy products vary, making milk a healthy choice.
Milk-containing foods are highly nutritious and can provide these benefits:
- The calcium found in dairy products may support your bones and reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
- Some dairy products, such as yoghurt, can help reduce fat mass and help reduce metabolic syndrome risks that contribute to high blood sugar levels and obesity.
- Fermented dairy products are packed with probiotics essential for maintaining gut health.
Did you know that avocadoes are considered a powerhouse superfood? They contain exceptional healthy fats, nutrients, and antioxidants. Additionally, if you are a regular avocado eater, you likely have a higher fibre, magnesium, potassium, and vitamin intake.
Some of the main benefits of adding avocadoes to your diet are:
- It promotes weight management since the healthy fats make you feel fuller for longer.
- It can help lower cholesterol levels to improve heart health.
- Reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes by balancing insulin and blood sugar levels.
- Boosts the absorption of nutrients.
- Improves the gut microbiome for better immune response to infection, inflammation, and chronic diseases.
In summary, nutrient-enriched food is critical for maintaining mental and physical health. Most people avoid certain foods because of the potential health risks; however, they might be surprised that this isn’t the case. Affinity Health has over 4000 network doctors as well as a 24/7 telehealth consultation service, providing access to nutritional advice and guidance for a healthier lifestyle.