The Importance Of An Evening Routine
Whether it’s winding down with a book, meditating, or simply disconnecting from screens, having a consistent routine in the evenings can have a profound impact on your physical and mental well-being.
Below we explain the benefits of an evening routine and share practical tips for establishing and sticking to one. Creating a peaceful and organised end to each day will make you feel refreshed and ready to take on the world.
What Is A Good Evening Routine?
Here are ten habits that can help you establish a healthy evening routine:
- Disconnect from screens: Set aside time to unplug from electronic devices, including your phone, computer, and TV.
- Practice mindfulness: Engage meditation, yoga, or deep breathing to calm the mind and body.
- Read: Take some time to read a book, magazine, or your favourite blog.
- Reflect: Write in a journal or take some quiet time to reflect on your day and set intentions for the next.
- Exercise: Engage in light physical activity such as a walk or stretching to release tension.
- Plan: Organise your thoughts and to-do list for the next day.
- Connect with loved ones: Reach out to friends or family members to catch up and maintain relationships.
- Hydrate: Drink plenty of water to replenish fluids lost throughout the day.
- Prepare for bed: Establish a bedtime routine, including winding down with a warm bath or shower and choosing comfortable bedding.
- Sleep: Get adequate sleep to allow your body and mind to rest and recharge for the next day.
Winding Down After A Busy Day
Winding down after a busy day helps you relax and recharge, so you can be ready to tackle the next day with energy and focus.
- Practice relaxation techniques: Taking a few deep breaths, meditating, or doing yoga can help you calm your mind and reduce stress levels.
- Unplug from technology: Turn off your phone, computer, and any other devices an hour or so before bed. This can help you avoid the stimulation that can keep you awake and prevent a good night’s sleep.
- Read a book or listen to music: Engaging in a quiet activity that you enjoy can help you relax and forget about the stress of the day.
- Take a warm bath or shower: A warm bath or shower can help you relax your muscles and ease your mind, making it easier to fall asleep.
- Get plenty of sleep: Aim to get 7-9 hours each night. This can help you feel refreshed and ready to tackle the next day.
Remember, everyone is different. What works best for one person may not work for another. Experiment with different techniques and find what works best to help you wind down from a busy day.
Journaling Before Bed
Journaling before bed can bring numerous benefits to your life and evening routine. It provides an outlet to process your thoughts and emotions, reflect on the day, and set intentions for the future.
By clearing your mind and organising your thoughts, journaling can improve your sleep quality and help you feel more relaxed and at peace. Furthermore, regularly journaling can increase self-awareness, enhance problem-solving skills, and boost creativity and mental clarity.
Whether you prefer to write longhand in a journal or type on a computer, taking a few minutes each night to write in your journal can positively impact your overall well-being.
What Are The Benefits Of No Screentime Before Bed?
Disconnecting from screens before bed has numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. Screen time, especially from electronic devices such as phones and computers, can disrupt the production of the melatonin hormone and interfere with sleep quality.
Avoiding screens for a set period before bed allows your brain to relax and transition into a calm and peaceful state. Furthermore, limiting evening screen time can reduce stress and anxiety, increase focus and productivity, and improve relationships and face-to-face communication skills.
Establishing a no-screen rule before bed is an easy and effective way to enhance sleep quality and overall well-being.
Showering Before Bed
Showering in the evening can be a valuable part of an evening routine for many people. A warm shower can help relax the muscles, reduce stress, and wash away the day’s grime. Additionally, taking a shower before bed can improve hygiene and increase the chances of sleeping well.
The warm water can also raise the body’s temperature, leading to a rapid cooling effect as you get out of the shower, helping signal your body that it’s time to sleep. Additionally, incorporating essential oils or relaxing scents into your shower routine can enhance the relaxation experience.
Taking a warm shower in the evenings can be a simple and effective way to improve the quality of your sleep and overall well-being.
How To Set Up Your Bedroom Before Bedtime
To set up your bedroom for proper sleep, there are several factors to consider:
- Temperature: Keep your room cool to promote comfortable and restful sleep.
- Lighting: Make sure your room is dark and quiet, with minimal light and noise. Use blackout curtains or an eye mask to block out light, and use earplugs or a white noise machine to reduce noise.
- Bedding: Invest in comfortable and high-quality bedding, including sheets, pillows, and a mattress that supports your sleeping position.
- Electronics: Remove electronic devices, such as phones and televisions, from the bedroom to reduce distractions and limit exposure to blue light.
- Comfort: Create a relaxing and calming atmosphere by incorporating soft lighting, comfortable furniture, and cosy textiles.
A Healthy Lifestyle
Following these steps, you can create a sleep-conducive environment supporting a healthy lifestyle. An adequately set up bedroom will help you get restful sleep to tackle the day’s challenges. Consult your healthcare advisor before making any permanent changes to your routine.
Affinity Health members have access to private healthcare for an affordable monthly fee.