9 Unexpected Health & Wellness Benefits Of Living A Clutter-Free Life | Affinity Health
Affinity Health, leading providers of affordable medical insurance, explain why and how spring-cleaning of your home is beneficial for your health.
Did You Know that a Clean Environment Can Help You Avoid Illnesses?
Decluttering your life isn’t just a popular spring pastime. It can lead to a happier, healthier you!
“Spring is a time when nature rejuvenates itself. It is the perfect time for us to do the same by decluttering our surroundings,” says Murray Hewlett, CEO of Affinity Health.
“Research confirms that those who live and work in a clean, less cluttered space think, feel, and sleep better than those who don’t. Also, the process of sorting through items, reorganising, and getting rid of the excess can be mentally refreshing and liberating. This can be done by tossing, donating, or recycling them.”
What are the many health benefits of decluttering your home and workplace?
- Clutter causes stress. A Scottish Health Survey found that spring cleaning can reduce stress and anxiety by a whopping 20%.
- Don’t blame pollen alone for seasonal allergies or asthma attacks. Airborne allergens like dust and pet dander can exacerbate asthma symptoms in children. Regular bouts of spring cleaning can keep the air you breathe cleaner.
Soothes Your Soul
- A thorough house cleaning is a mood booster you’ll want to make a habit of. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin found that women with stressful houses were more likely to be depressed during the day. Examples of stressful houses include those with clutter and unorganised chores. Women who said their homes were less messy were less depressed during the day.
Makes You Burn Calories
- Researchers at Indiana University uncovered an unexpected discovery between physical activity and cleanliness: Cleaning increases exercise and burns calories without even hitting the gym.
Increases Work Productivity
- Your office needs a spring cleaning too, especially if the papers and folders crowding your desk are preventing you from working. OfficeMax found that 77% of working citizens agree that clutter reduces productivity.
- National Sleep Foundation says those who make their beds every morning are 19% more likely to sleep properly. According to the organization’s survey, clean sheets are more comfortable for 75% of respondents. Who knew laundry offered so many benefits?
Promotes Healthier Eating
- A clean home might help you eat cleaner and healthier? According to University of Minnesota researchers, people in a clean, ordered space were more likely to choose healthier snacks than those in a messy room.
Prevents Accidents And Injuries
- Keeping your kids’ toys clean will help them avoid stepping on a Lego, but clean homes help everyone avoid injury. A fall affects one in every four seniors, resulting in 2.8 million emergency room visits per year.
Reduces The Spread Of Viruses And Illnesses
- Spring cleaning provides you with an excuse to wash those areas you usually ignore. Like a washing machine, small kitchen gadgets can collect dust, grease, and other contaminants from your dirty dishes. Washing away food contamination or putting vinegar and baking soda in hot water can kill microorganisms.
How to Start Decluttering
Decluttering can be overwhelming. To make the process easier, Affinity Health recommends the following:
- Set a date on the calendar to start.
- Choose either the most cluttered part of your house or the least.
- Break cleaning down into smaller tasks that you can tackle per area or room.
- Separate items into necessities, nice to have, and things you don’t need or want.
- Sell or donate things you do not need to a charity or organisation that matters to you.
- As you go through the process, remember that it will take time. For some, spring cleaning is a one-day event; for others, it can take several weeks.
About Affinity Health
Affinity Health is South Africa’s leading provider of health insurance, offering you a range of options at affordable rates including access to the widest national provider network. We understand the importance of having medical insurance that meets your needs, your budget, and your lifestyle. Our range of healthcare products are designed to protect you and your family when it matters the most. We strive to give our clients peace of mind and the highest standard of service at all times. For more information, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.